I am Pat Luna, a lay person in Alabama-West Florida. I was first reserve delegate in 2012 and delegate in 2016 and 2019 General Conferences. I am also a board member for Mainstream UMC. I am writing today to ask you to join me in making a donation to support the on-going work of Mainstream UMC. I believe that the work that Mainstream UMC has done and is doing is critical for the future of our church. Nowhere else in our church are hard truths being called out as carefully, well researched and thoughtfully as Mainstream UMC. The research and exposés by Mark Holland have provided the information delegates and interested members of our beloved UMC need in these times of misinformation, false narratives and just plain deception on the part of the WCA. If you are not WCA, the work of Mainstream UMC is vital in the Southeastern Jurisdiction. We desperately need a group fighting for the truth, fighting for inclusion, fighting for a big tent UMC that allows for Biblical interpretation not literalism.
Mainstream UMC is a key voice for centrists and progressives as negotiations are underway with traditionalist groups in the church. We are committed to finding a path for the church in the United States to have autonomy over our mission field while staying organically connected in ministry to our Methodist brothers and sisters in Christ around the globe. We believe that a new form of governance is necessary for the US church to be who God is calling us to be.
There are a number of proposals on the table that may work. But as we know, none of them will work if we do not communicate and advocate with delegates and people in the pews. Communication and advocacy are the strengths of Mainstream UMC. We have been the voice in the church most willing to call out false narratives and to push for the kind of change that the church needs.
We are very pleased with the role we have been able to play since GC 2019:
- We supported the election efforts in Annual Conferences.
- We have board members on the steering team for UMC Next.
- Our Executive Director, Mark Holland has been at the table for conversations with both Central Conference and US bishops.
- We hosted a very successful survey that drew over 13,000 responses from all perspectives throughout the denomination.
- We have published data and maps that show the realities of the US Church.
Going Forward, we have more goals:
- We want to shape a new narrative about the church that directly challenges the message coming from the conservative advocacy groups.
- We are bringing legislative recommendations for GC 2020.
- We will work to expand the existing coalition to pass the best possible outcome for the church.
- We will advocate for US autonomy.
- We will continue to collect and disseminate grassroots data.
We are asking committed United Methodists like yourself to contribute to Mainstream UMC and to help raise resources in your church, or through your network. We are asking for both one-time gifts as well as monthly pledges that will run through June of 2020. Please consider a generous contribution today. And, please pass this request along to your congregation for support.
On behalf of the entire Advisory Board, we want to thank you in advance for your generous consideration. With your help, we can build a church we can celebrate! Thank you.
Mainstream UMC Advisory Board Member
Grace UMC in Olathe, Kansas is the host for Mainstream UMC. The Center of Grace serves as the fiscal agent and provides financial accountability.
Please make checks payable to:
Grace United Methodist Church
Memo: Mainstream UMC
11485 S. Ridgeview Road
Olathe, Kansas 66061
You can also give electronically at: www.MainstreamUMC.com/donate
Learn more at www.MainstreamUMC.com